Monday, September 21, 2009

What is Chemo?

I was talking to a friend of mine, she wanted to know what happened during chemo and what the day was like for me. So here it is a play by play of the day...

1. The nurse accesses your port. Which means the "stab" you in your port and draw your blood. The tube thing is only five inches long that stays with you until I am connect to the IV machine. The little tube gets taped to my chest.

2. Doctor's appointment. Dr. K checks everything out and makes sure I am doing ok.

3. They connect you to the iv drip. I get an inject of a steroid and a bag of steroids in my IV. This takes about an half an hour.

4. A nurse sits next to me and "pushes" one of the chemo drugs into my iv. Takes about 15 minutes.

5. I get another chemo drug by iv. It takes about 30 minutes to drip into my iv.

The day starts at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 12:00.

No comments: