Thursday, February 4, 2010

Campbell, Back to work and that new Boob!!

We were really worried about Campbell.  She had stolen a couple of items in the last week and has been really clingy to me.  Example: I stub my toe and said, "Ouch!".  She got really worried about me.  Todd and I and her doctor decided she should talk to a professional.  So on Wednesday she went.  The professional felt that Campbell was doing well.  She told Todd and I that we need to keep it as normal as possible and to continue to keep Campbell in the loop.  Todd and I have experience people telling us...we are telling Campbell too much. But the therapist said that we are doing all the right things.  She said unless kids get headaches, stomach aches, and/or begin to start fights we should not worry. 

I went back to work on Monday part time.  I was shocked by how exhausted I have been.  I am working about four hours to five hours a day.  By the time I get home I am ready for a nap.  I am hoping that I soon can start back doing inspections.  I still do not have full range of motion and can only do desk work.

My new boob is made out of fiber fill. So it is soft and not real like at all.  On Sunday and Monday, I wore it for a few hours.  It is all I can stand..after awhile it tends to rub on my skin and starts to bother me.  The other day I was going to go without and Todd said I look a little funny.  So I looked in the mirror and it was really obvious that I was boobless.  We decided I can go boobless only with lots of layers on. On Tuesday, I went to a meeting and went to get into my bag and there was my fake boob.  I started laughing (those that know me real well know my laugh is not quiet!) and the two MEN I was meeting with asked me what was funny.  So I pulled out my boob and showed it to them.  One of them handled it real well and even checked it out.  The other one got a little red faced.  First man has followed my blog and facebook, so he knew how opened I have been about this experience; the second man had no clue.

I met a lady who has survived breast cancer for five years.  This lady was different than all the survivors I have ever meet.  She understood the difference between Inflammatory Breast Cancer and Breast Cancer.  She did not try to tell me that what we experienced was the same.  She said when they first were looking at her cancer, the doctors told her it may be IBC.  She said she researched IBC and understood how aggressive it is.  She actually said that she had a feeling of relief when they told her it was not IBC. 

One of the hardest things for me this past seven months has been explaining what IBC is and how it differs from regular Breast Cancer.  So to honor my conversation this week I have decided to repost my sypmtoms below. Please spread the word about IBC...

Symptoms of IBC may include redness, swelling, and warmth in the breast, often without a distinct lump in the breast. The redness and warmth are caused by cancer cells blocking the lymph vessels in the skin. The skin of the breast may also appear pink, reddish purple, or bruised. The skin may also have ridges or appear pitted, like the skin of an orange (called peau d'orange), which is caused by a buildup of fluid and edema (swelling) in the breast. Other symptoms include heaviness, burning, aching, increase in breast size, tenderness, or a nipple that is inverted (facing inward) (3). These symptoms usually develop quickly—over a period of weeks or months. Swollen lymph nodes may also be present under the arm, above the collarbone, or in both places. However, it is important to note that these symptoms may also be signs of other conditions such as infection, injury, or other types of cancer (1).



http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/sites-types/ibc

No comments: